About Me

Welcome to my blog. Back in July 2010 I purchased a VW T5 '06 van with the vision of converting it into a camper van. To share my experiences, on the well trodden path of converting these wonderful vehicles, I have created this blog which I'll try to update regularly. Enjoy.

Friday 5 November 2010

August 2010 - Removing panels and installing reversing camera

Removing the rear panels was naturally a breeze and allowed access to the rear of the number plate door.



Now I have direct access to the back of the number plate to drill my reversing camera cable hole through the metal door. The rubber hose wire protector shown below which runs from the light cluster to the door, became a momentous effort to feed wires through. Take time with it and the wires eventually go through. I taped the wire to a metal coat hanger and threaded it through that way. Took me three hours though!!



All the side panels down one side are now off and behind the rear light cluster is now accessible.


This is where I need to get to...


The wire that the reverse positive feed will use can be found here by tracing colours on light cluster unit and volt metering when reverse selected (peel back the wiring loom tape in the top left hand corner of the opening shown here, above the chassis ground bolts) so this provides the reversing light power and will be connected to the head unit reverse power feed, to automatically switch the head unit to reverse camera video display every time reverse is selected. The reverse camera cables are now ready to start being routed to the front cab.

3 comments:

  1. This is a good effort! Installing a reverse camera on your car will guarantee your safety. There are wireless reverse camera nowadays that can ease the problem with too much wiring.


    Reverse camera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Installing a reverse camera in your car is not easy to do. You need a hand of professional for making it sure that it works properly. Buying and installing reversing camera monitor kit is a smart buyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am doing the exact same job installing a reverse camera but mine is WiFi so alls I need to do is to tap into the reverse light cable and earth.. I am sure brown is earth but can you tell me wich is the reverse..?
    Is it the green one?

    ReplyDelete